Tuesday 5 May 2009

My first entry

Woohoo. So here it is, my blog. To be honest I'll be amazed if anyone reads this. I think the main reason why I am writing this is so I can offload about how shitty work is and how GPs (especially salaried ones are getting crapped on). I might do a bit on Swine Flu as well as it seems to be the topic of the moment. This is all new to me, I guess I should post links to various bits and bobs but frankly I can't be arsed and everyone knows how to use google nowadays anyway.

I've taken a peek at various other blogs - my 2 favourites are Dr Rant and NHS Blog Doctor . Hey fancy that, I've made a couple of links. Anyway, I doubt this blog will be anywhere near as good as them as I have a sneaky suspicion that work has blocked access to blogs - the bastards. Thankfully I still have access to Twitter.

Ok, lets take a peek at BBC News health section and see whats going on there...

Hmm, mild swine flu? Its quite amusing that people seem to be miffed that its not fatal like avian flu has been or like SARS. Give it time. Influenza viruses mutate at a fair rate. Who knows, come winter it might be a bad-ass and people will be dropping like flies (or should that be pigs?). Frankly I'm glad its mild (so far), people at my practice tend to turn up literally hours after a sniffle or cough starts so even if its mild the increase workload will be a real pain in the ass.

This is rather worrying . Its hard enough to get anyone to do Child Protection. Its terrible that the GP involved who referred the child twice to A+E with suspected Non-accidental injuries has been suspended by the GMC. Not sure I understand why - does anyone? Politics I guess. Lets see, Prof Southall got suspended by the GMC and then reinstated for false accusations re child abuse. This other GP gets suspended for correct accusations re child abuse. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Doing Rapid Access Clinic tomorrow. Brain-child of one of the partners. Originally conceived as a rapid, simple, drop-in clinic for things like coughs, sore throat, ear ache etc. The idea was that these problems only take 2-3 mins to sort out and so don't need a 10min appointment. Trouble is is that people are coming in with stuff that really doesn't need to a GP - like waking up that morning with a sore throat. As a result the clinic is full (30+) of minor crap that could be self treated or waiting for it to settle. The clinic should really be done by a nurse with appropriate training. Complete waste of bloody time but alas, as a simple salaried GP I am unable to sway the partners. I can't even get them to change the name of the clinic - its no longer rapid access (drop-in) its now pre booked appointment slots. Completely fucking stupid.

When I get a moment I'll go through whats wrong with the practice where I am working. Mainly so I have a note of what not to do if I ever become a partner (GP partner jobs are rare as rocking-horse shit). Will save that for another day.

7 comments:

  1. Well I'm reading it so that's one! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also reading it - will probably relate to many of your salaried GP issues I should think. That is why I am in Canada. Also good luck for the baby - is this your first? Bells

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to say hi. Its only me I found you. Sent you twitter messages re 4 male patients u saw. Happened to see a Px for the said patients on Fail Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the messages. Baby is my second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'eyup, I'm reading too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clinic should really be done by a nurse with appropriate training.Try telling John Crippen that!

    ReplyDelete